Spiking the Guns

This is where you can discuss all the small wars of the 18th century, dazzle us with your painted figures and brilliant generalship........

Spiking the Guns

Postby FredericktheGreat » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:41 am

Well I had the pleasure of being invited up to the Toowoomba Shed group last night to play Muskets and Tomahawks American War of Independence. So at about 4.30 pm I donned on my trusty Bicorn, stepped into the coach and ordered my faithful servant Zu Baru of the forest to drive me to the mountains. Well not quite, but I did drive up the hill in a Subaru Forester. This was the shed's second game so not many of the figures were painted up and flocked but they were all ready and keen for a scrap anyway.

I pulled up at the front door of Pete's place at about 6.30 and was welcomed by a cheery G'day and the warm glow of neon. We got a talking about the scenario for tonight. A few of the other guys were already there, Peter and Alastair were already sorting out the French and I was to join the British side and run a provincial force of Tories. Loyalists for the King! Here Here! The other chaps strolled in soon after, Steve, Spence and Alan.

Our mission as the British and Loyalists, was to creep up to the American Rebels (oh alright continentals) and French camp and spike the gun there. On our left were 2 companies of British Regulars and 1 Company of Provincials. In the centre were 2 staunch companies of British Elites and a company of rangers and Alan and I ran a total of 3 provincial companies on the right.

The French camp had the gun and 2 companies of French regulars. A continental force on the French right under Peter was off table waiting to wake up and sound the alarm and the other Pete had a French force off table on the left and waiting to march up to support the gun once the alarm was sounded.

My rather ragged force of Tories scrambles over the hills in the dark as we set off to attack the French and American camp.

The Rangers were vary sneaky and made it behind the walls before the alarm was sounded. However a company of French regulars that had woken up just before, acted again and turned to face the rangers and blowing them away in a dazzling display of disciplined fire. 4 casualties later and needless to say the Rangers rolled a 1 for morale twice (elites get to re-roll 1's) and legged it immediately.

Things were not going much better on the right now that the French had woken up they stood to attention behind the stone walls and peppered a company of Loyalist provincials forcing them to high tail it and run as well. Only the unflappable British elites in the centre advanced as if on parade. Although I must have been shaking in fear as I took this shot knowing that Peter's continental force had just arrived and they looked mean :cry:

For the rest of the brief skirmish on my flank the only grand success was the annihilation of this Continental militia company you see above. After this small victory my troops all ran from the telling fire of a Light company and a company of Continental Regulars. I am sure Dearborn was the commander, or was it Von Steuben? My Officer was killed early on in the firefight so i could not tell :D

However, the indomitable fighting spirit of the British regulars won the day. Both companies in the centre held their ground drilling the enemy. Above is all that was left of the Continetal force facing me after a few well aimed volleys by the British elites.

On the other flank a company of British regulars stormed the redoubt, bayoneting the crew and officer commanding the gun. Next they spiked the gun before dying to a man at the hands of Pete's French reserves. By now both sides were on army morale and it was Steve's British elites in the centre which clung on amidst the bitter fight to give the British a complete victory.

An awesome little game and it was a real honor to game with such a great bunch of guys! Thanks Pete for the invite up the hill and great to meet all the guys and share a great beer and pretzels game together, full of laughs and evil chuckles. Yes Peter you know what I am talking about massacring my provincial companies...... :lol:
FredericktheGreat

Return to KLEINER KRIEG