Kingdoms in Crisis

General discussion, painted miniatures, history and battle reports shared here for all topics from 3000BC to 500 AD.......

Kingdoms in Crisis

Postby FredericktheGreat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Exciting News! The Kingdoms in Crisis, Ancients-Renaissance war game rules are ready for playtesting. :D

This is great news for both the Ancients gamers and the Napoleonic gamers. Because now its time to start working on the good copy of the Naps rules for publication, now that the playtest copy of these rules after a month of writing is completed. Whew!
FredericktheGreat

Re: Kingdoms in Crisis

Postby FredericktheGreat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 am

Well we have a had a few games now and some great ideas for a few minor tweaks are seeing the game run ever more smoothly. The last game we played was between 1000 points of Republican Romans vs 1000 points of Carthaginians. The Carthaginians were based around the Second Punic War and I ran the Cartho's with Hannibal. I had a strong cavalry wing with Noble/Guard Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry and Elephants with Cretan archers supporting, which Dave took command of. Facing them were the Allied Heavy Cavalry, Roman Equites and Milites Extraordinarii, Triarii and a Allied Legion. In the centre I ran 4x Carthaginian Infantry in Roman Armour (Italian Campaign Veterans) a unit of mercenary light infantry and a unit of Balearic slingers. I was outnumbered here, facing 4x Roman Legionaries, 1x Allied Legion, 1x Velites and 1x Allied Light infantry.

From the outset things went wrong :oops: Outnumbered on the wing Dave tried to manouvre the cavalry and elephants against the Roman and Allied cavalry which was about to slip past our flank. Sadly for Dave and the whole Carthaginian battle line the Roman cavalry, support by the Allied cavalry attacked the defended but unsupported Noble cavalry on the hill and through a combination of very bad morale and melee rolls and a the enemies very good attack rolls, the poor old cavalry broke and ran in the initial melee. The Elephants and the Carthaginian Cavalry had their flanks to the enemy, assuming that the Noble cavalry would be fine protecting them while they extended the battle line and protected the flank. As the Roman cavalry pursued in smashed straight into the flank of the elephants which were crushed within 2 rounds of melee, despite the terror and the elephant vs horse bonus. (flank attacks are pretty brutal and the elephants never got the chance to turn around before they broke and were run down). The other Carthaginian cavalry unit held the Allied cavalry in check for the rest of the game. But the Equites were now in the rear zone and ahd caught the Cretan archers which had evaded the Triarii and Milites charge. The Carthaginian infantry on the whole performed very well, breaking the velites before being overwhelmed by 2 units of Roman Legionaries. However the mercenary light infantry was broken in a fight against the Roman Allied light infantry and despite the Carthaginian infantry very close to breaking a unit of Allied Legionaries and a unit of Roman Legionaries, the army morale phase proved detrimental. The Carthaginians rolled a 6 on army morale and the army withdrew. The battle ended up being a complete victory for the Romans. The really lucky flank attack against a very strong but outmanouvred Carthaginian cavalry and elephant force was decisive and well done Fraser. for cleverly forcing Dave to attempt the risky move and thereby catching him ill prepared. A very Alexander at Issus type move 8-) More reports later and hopefully some piccies too :)
FredericktheGreat

Return to SAND IN MY SHOES