Marshes for SAGA

Saga is a wonderful little game created by Studio Tomahawk for refighting battles in the Dark Ages....

Marshes for SAGA

Postby FredericktheGreat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Well the Grendel Cup is fast approaching and the Awakening the Monster mission needs 2 marshes per table. So I rocked up to my good mate's place Mark of Auscon fame (here is Auscon Games facebook page) http://www.facebook.com/groups/124874644193957/ for some help making the marshes. I do not have a jigsaw and needed someone who does in order to make the terrain. Mark said he would help and well here he is at his workshop busily carving out the marshes for SAGA. A special thanks to Mark for spending the time to cut the marshes out by the way :D Here is a picture of Mark working hard -

And here is a picture of all 32 marshes made that afternoon.

Next will be the painting of the terrain. I will smooth the edges with sandpaper or some such thing, then sand the edges, spray paint the whole thing bnrown and then add the blues for boggy water. Finally I will drybrush the sides of the bases and add a bit of Silflor marsh tufts for that bit of extra effect. The making of the marshes will be the next topic I post.
FredericktheGreat

Re: Marshes for SAGA

Postby FredericktheGreat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Today I put aside sometime to do the next stage of marsh building for the SAGA competition!

First I sanded the edges of all 32 marshes.

Next the edges were coated in PVA glue.

You can also coat the middle as well, since marshes had boggy and raised areas.

Lastly, each piece was then coated in sand and then set to the side so they can dry overnight!

Tomorrow I shall spray paint the marshes brown. :D

Next step is to drybrush the edges after you have spray painted the marshes brown. I use Vallejo Yellow Ochre 913

Next I drybrushed the edges a fraction lighter shade, Iraqi Sand 819 and painted the pebbles and grit Sky Grey 989. I then painted the body of water Intense Blue 925 and used a watered down mix of Intense Blue and Dark Blue 94 to paint the edges of the water as you can se in the picture.

Lastly I finished up by adding some static grass and silfor or army painter grass tufts and effects.

It really is very easy and does not take too long at all. I hope this inspires you all to also make some marshes for SAGA or any other game for that matter :D
FredericktheGreat

Postby OminousOwl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:57 pm

The look great! Are you using some hardening resin for the liquids bit of the marshes? Perhaps a caracole for character ?

Joshua
OminousOwl

Postby FredericktheGreat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm

I will probably be using PVA on top of the painted MDF to give it that watery look.
FredericktheGreat

Return to SAGA